Monday 9 February 2015

Testament Of Youth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/film/testament_of_youth


I saw Testament Of Youth as part of my FDA accreditation course. It was the second film they'd shown to us, the first being the hilarious vampire comedy What We Do In The Shadows. When the film was announced there were whispers in the auditorium, clearly from fellow bloggers who had heard of the film, or perhaps from people who were familiar with the book by Vera Brittain on which the film is based. I am sad to say that I was ignorant to both, but as a keen film fan of most genres, I was interested to see what this film was about.

I will admit that I might have felt a small pang of disappointment when I realised it was a "war" film, so let me start right away by saying that I was in no way disappointed by the end of the film, and it gave me a whole new perspective on what to expect from a "war" film.

For those as unfamiliar as I was, the story is told from the point of view of young Vera Brittain, who's only want in life is to go to university. She loves books and hates her cooped up home life, and her happiest day is when she wins a scholarship to Oxford. Little does Vera know that the First World War is just around the corner, and with it, her life will change forever.

To say more would be a great disservice to a beautifully crafted film, a wonderfully woven and detailed story and some of the most heartbreaking performances I have seen in a long time. Testament Of Youth pulled me in completely, it compelled me to watch and it made me feel every emotion that brave Vera feels.

At the time, it was the first film I had seen Alicia Vikander in, and despite my misgivings that this unknown young lady could hold my attention for the full span, let alone have me singing her praises afterwards, she did just that. It's a shame that her more widely released film Ex_Machina did not allow her to show her full range of talent as she is honestly tremendous here. As is the 'better known for Game of Thrones' actor Kit Harington. They are ably supported by the always amazing Hayley Atwell, Dominic West, Emily Watson and Miranda Richardson.

After watching (and crying through) Testament Of Youth, I wanted so much to read Vera Brittain's book on which the film was based. I sought it out at my local library and found an absolute monster doorstop of a novel. I mean no disrespect to Ms Brittain when I say that I managed to read about 2 chapters of the book before I gave up with it. The members of my book club will tell you that I do not give up easily, but I found the book completely unreadable. I really do have the utmost respect for Ms Brittain to overcome what she went through in the war and then write it all down for the world to read. But her book was written in a very different language to today's English. In many ways that's a good thing, especially in the day and age of text speak, but it's a case of why use 5 words if you can use 50. Every sentence is written in such a convoluted way that it's hard to decipher what she's really telling us.

I therefore doff my cap to the screenwriter Juliette Towhidi who has done such a fantastic job of converting this mammoth book into not just a watchable movie, but a memorable and beautiful movie. One which I urge all of my readers (yes, all two of you) to see. 9 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 25th October 2014
UK Release Date - 16th January 2015

Cast Overview:
Alicia Vikander ~ Vera Brittain
Kit Harington ~ Roland Leighton
Hayley Attwell ~ Hope
Taron Egerton ~ Edward Brittain
Dominic West ~ Mr Brittain
Emily Watson ~ Mrs Brittain
Miranda Richardson ~ Miss Lorimer
Colin Morgan ~ Victor Richardson
Anna Chancellor ~ Mrs Leighton
Joanna Scanlan ~ Aunt Belle

Director ~ James Kent
Writer ~ Vera Brittain (Book) and Juliette Towhidi

No comments:

Post a Comment