Wednesday 14 August 2013

Say Anything


I don't remember the first time I saw Say Anything. But I do remember that it was entirely down to my brother, as most of my well informed movie choices were around that time. 

I wonder if he showed it to me because it's leading man, John Cusack, had a small supporting role in one of my favourite movies, Stand By Me? Or maybe it was because it was a little off the beaten track when it comes to Rom-Coms, and he thought I'd like that? Who knows. But the point is that he did show it to me and I did love it. But more of that later.

For those uninitiated with the 80s movie that put declaring your love with a boombox on the map, allow me to tell you a little about Say Anything. Here we have a movie about your average high school student Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack). He's nothing special, except that he is nothing like any other guy in the world. He's had a thing about the high school brain, Diane Court (Ione Skye), for years, and he decides to ask her to the graduation party to end all parties. She's been awarded a scholarship in England so it's now or never. No-one expects Diane to say yes, least of all Lloyd, heck, least of all Diane. But she does, and what follows is the account of the early days of their relationship, the ups, the downs and all of the family dramas in between.

This is what makes Say Anything one of the best 80s movies ever made. Not just the family drama, which happens to be an amazingly acted, moving and realistic account of lives being ripped apart. No, not just that. The whole shebang is what makes this movie great. I love the fact that Lloyd's two best friends are women. That he's responsible for being the key master at the party, rather than being the typical drunk guy, in fact, I love that he's not a "guy" as his friends Corey and DC tell him, "don't be a guy, be a man." I love that he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, but he knows that he doesn't know! Say Anything isn't an underdog story, someone always believes in the underdog, no-one believes in Lloyd, not even Diane, and he proves them all wrong!

It's funny, it's heartbreakingly sad, it's quotable, it's 80s, it has Joan and John Cusack playing brother and sister, it has a great soundtrack, there are 2 out of 3 Heathers in it! FYI if you don't know what that means see Heathers
immediately, then see Say Anything. You absolutely will not regret it. 10 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 23rd July 2013
Original US Release Date (as I couldn't find the UK Release Date anywhere) - 14th April 1989

Cast Overview:
John Cusack ~ Lloyd Dobler
Ione ~ Diane Court
John Mahoney ~ James Court
Lili Taylor ~ Corey Flood
Amy Brooks ~ D.C
Loren Dean ~ Joe
Joan Cusack ~ Constance Dobler
Glenn Walker Harris Jr ~ Jason Dobler
Jeremy Piven ~ Mark
Bebe Neuwirth ~ Mrs Evans
Eric Stoltz ~ Vahlere
Kim Walker ~ Sheila
Chynna Phillips ~ Mimi
Lisanne Falk ~ Sandra
Philip Baker Hall ~ IRS Boss

Director/Writer ~ Cameron Crowe

No comments:

Post a Comment