Tuesday 30 July 2013

Before Midnight



Before Sunrise was given to me as a birthday gift from my brother. The fact that I remember this shows that it was one of the better birthday gifts I have received in my lifetime.

Needless to say I loved it. And when I found out there was a sequel set 9 years later, and not only that but that my best friend loved the original and couldn't wait to see said sequel, I was even more excited. I loved the rich, realistic dialogue. And the chemistry Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy had was the kind that most actors can only dream of.

So, what did happen after Celine (Julie Delpy) sang A Waltz For A Night to Jesse (Ethan Hawke) at the end of Before Sunset? Did he catch his flight back to the US? Back to his wife and son? Did he hell!

We pick up with the couple another 9 years down the road, Jesse's son Hank is just leaving Greece having stayed with his dad and Celine over the summer. Jesse and Celine now have twin daughters of their own, and that amazing banter they shared in the previous films is still evident, but it's tinged with sourness due to Jesse's guilt over leaving his son in the US in order to remain with Celine in France. It's putting pressure on them, as is Celine's natural closeness with Hank, that Jesse clearly envies. Will their history be the tie that binds or will they have gone their separate ways by the time the next 9 years have gone by?

Before Midnight keeps the realism of the first two movies, but whilst those movies were filled with hope, this instalment feels very bitter in comparison. *Spoiler Alert* The last half an hour of the film is a very intimate verbal spat between the two, and the way it's shot, following what was beginning as a love scene, feels a little too close for comfort. Julie Delpy spends most of this scene topless, which I didn't feel was at all necessary. Especially given the lack of nudity in the previous films, and given the lack of exposure on Hawke's part. It felt overly unequal that the woman should be exposed in this way. And whilst I appreciate that this was clearly done to prove some sort of point about how women are naturally more exposed in situations like this, or that men always have the upper hand, it just didn't come across this way to me. It seemed completely out of character with the other two films and entirely unnecessary.

Which is a shame because I spent so much time wanting Delpy to cover herself up I undoubtedly missed a lot of what she was saying in this pivotal scene. This film, along with The World's End (review to follow shortly), which is another end to a long spanning trilogy, really makes me worry about my future. Both beginnings to the trilogy's start in the characters 20s, and both films are essentially about being young and carefree and just enjoying life. The next films, set in the characters 30s, are considerably more serious, dealing with much harsher topics; and the final films, set in the characters 40s are all about missed opportunities and bitterness. If that's all my 40s has in stall for me I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that so much?

Delpy and Hawke's natural chemistry with each other is still present, and the script they co-wrote with director Richard Linklater, is as realistic as Sunset, but whereas Sunset was full of fond remembrance and hope, Midnight is full of over familiarity and discontent. The romantic in me wants to believe this pair can overcome anything, but the realist in me isn't so sure.

For those who have seen and loved the previous films, this last instalment is a must. Just don't expect a happy ending. 7 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 23rd June 2013
UK Release Date - 21st June 2013

Cast Overview:
Jesse ~ Ethan Hawke
Celine ~ Julie Delpy
Hank ~ Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick
Ella ~ Jennifer Prior
Nina ~ Charlotte Prior
Natalia ~ Xenia Kalogeropoulou
Patrick ~ Walter Lassally
Anna ~ Ariane Labed
Achilleas ~ Yiannis Papadopoulos
Ariadni ~ Athina Rachel Tsangari
Stefanos ~ Panos Koronis

Director ~ Richard Linklater
Writer(s) ~ Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
Characters by Richard Linklater and Kim Krizan

No comments:

Post a Comment