Sunday 10 March 2013

Warm Bodies

Mini Blog

I'd looked forward to Warm Bodies since I saw the trailer. As a fan of horror movies in general, and especially of films that throw traditional horror ideas on their head, I was intrigued by the idea that a Zombie could be cured of their zombification by something that a Zombie would be likely to never find; love.

As such, I was determined to see the film before it finished at my local cinema, even though this meant going out alone at night in freezing cold temperatures. And I wish I could say that it was worth my plight. But alas, I should have waited for the DVD.

Yes it is a fresh take on a decaying story but it's basically Romeo and Juliet with Zombies which I find slightly less original. The main Zombie being named R because he doesn't remember what his full name is and the girl he falls in love with being Julie. I found this homage to be unnecessary and annoying rather than the delight I think I was meant to feel. And don't even get me started on the 'balcony' scene!

I also found that Nicholas Hoult is not yet ready for leading man status. He can't carry a film, and quite frankly having a cast of mostly unknown young actors to back him up does not work in this film's favour. John Malkovich's small role as Julie's father brings a welcome addition of a well known face who can also pack a punch in the acting stakes. Unfortunately though he's just not around enough. Much like Bill Murray's role in Zombieland, this film would have majorly benefitted from a cameo from a high profile star, but sadly for Warm Bodies, no-one stepped up to the plate.

This leaves Warm Bodies as yet another intriguing premise let down by a less than impressive cast and silly decisions by the filmmakers to infuse their zombie movie with shakespearian comparisons. It just doesn't work. 6 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 21st February 2013
UK Release Date - 8th February 2013

Cast Overview:
Nicholas Hoult ~ R
Teresa Palmer ~ Julie
Analeigh Tipton ~ Nora
Rob Corddry ~ M
Dave Franco ~ Perry
John Malkovich ~ Grigio

Director ~ Jonathan Levine
Writer(s) ~ Jonathan Levine (Screenplay) and Isaac Marion (Novel)

No comments:

Post a Comment