Friday 29 March 2013

Stoker

Mini Review

After spending a lovely weekend with my friend we decided that we weren't quite ready for it to be over and would have time to waste a few hours at the cinema. The film we wanted to see, Song For Marion, wasn't on for another couple of hours so I suggested we see Stoker as my friend is a fan of Nicole Kidman. She asked me what it was about and I realised at that point that I didn't know. Upon looking at the synopsis I realised that the film also starred Dermot Mulroney who I've loved for years. So we decided that regardless of the dark subject matter we were going to give the film a chance.

The film opens on the funeral of Richard Stoker (Dermot Mulroney - woe is me). His introverted daughter India (Mia Wasikowska) and dedicated wife Evelyn (Nicole Kidman) are present, but so too is Richard's estranged brother Charlie (Matthew Goode). India, who has never previously been aware of the existence of this mysterous uncle, becomes increasingly intregued by Charlie and his sudden presence in her and her mother's house. The situation turns sinister when Charlie's aunt shows up and tries to warn India that Charlie may not be all that he seems. Will she listen to her great Aunt or is India destined to follow her uncle down a path that she can never turn back from?

Stoker is a hard film to grapple with. On the one hand it keeps the viewer interested by twists and turns in the plot, it's well acted and the direction is at times beautiful and yet always to the point. But on the other hand it doesn't really go anywhere or have much to say for itself. It's a definite case of style over substance. 

I wish there'd been some sort of epiphany at the end or that I'd felt somehow enriched by seeing it but I didn't. The only realisation being that those were 2 hours of my life I wasn't getting back. And that Dermot Mulroney should have had a bigger role. 5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 3rd March 2013
UK Release Date - 1st March 2013

Cast Overview:
Mia Wasikowska ~ India Stoker
Nicole Kidman ~ Evelyn Stoker
Matthew Goode ~ Charlie Stoker
Dermot Mulroney ~ Richard Stoker
Jacki Weaver ~ Gwendolyn Stoker
Ralph Brown ~ Sheriff

Director ~ Chan-Wook Park
Writer ~ Wentworth Miller (contributing writer Erin Cressida Wilson)

No comments:

Post a Comment