Friday 29 March 2013

Song For Marion

Mini Review

As you may have seen from my last review, I wanted to see Song For Marion since it's release at the end of February. I believed the release date for this film was the reason for Hansel and Gretel (also starring Gemma Arterton) being put back by a couple of days, as they were originally scheduled to come out on the same date. Seeing how good Gemma was in Hansel and Gretel made me want to see this even more, even though it is a British comedy and they're usually on my list of movies to avoid. 

The film tells the story of Marion (Vanessa Redgrave), a woman with a terminal illness, who enjoys singing in her local choir. Marion's husband Arthur (Terence Stamp) is against anything that will make Marion weaker, making her illness worse, and so doesn't hide his annoyance towards the choir and their director Elizabeth (Gemma Arterton) who is constantly trying to get Marion, and in turn Arthur, more involved. However, getting grumpy old Arthur to join in is going to be harder, but perhaps more rewarding, than Elizabeth ever imagined. 

As I said above, I tend to avoid British comedies like the plague as I generally find them to be the most unfunny and boring films out there. I'm all for supporting British film but when we turn out crap it makes it hard to do. Song For Marion however was a film I could definitely get behind. It wasn't hilarious but it had moments of being genuinely funny, it was touching, it was thought provoking, it had bloody brilliant performances and it left me with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. If all British films, not just British comedies, were made with such love I don't think the industry would struggle to keep up with our counterparts from across the pond. 

If it's not finished it's run at your local cinema then I urge you to see Song For Marion, and if my review has come too late then I ask you to put it on your LoveFilm reminder list and catch it when it comes out on DVD. You won't regret it. 8 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 6th March 2013
UK Release Date - 22nd February 2013

Cast Overview:
Gemma Arterton ~ Elizabeth
Terence Stamp ~ Arthur
Christopher Eccleston ~ James
Vanessa Redgrave ~ Marion
Anne Reid ~ Brenda

Director/Writer ~ Paul Andrew Williams

1 comment: