Tuesday 19 February 2013

Monsters, Inc. 3D


My regular readers will know that I love Disney movies. My first cinematic memory is of seeing Bambi, and then being traumatised for life obviously. That aside, in recent years I have developed an even greater love of Disney Pixar movies. As the sister of an artist/animator I have always had an in-built appreciation for the painstaking process that goes into each frame, and I'm of the mind that Pixar's team not only pick out the best stories, but they animate them so beautifully that if you don't love them you must have a heart made of stone.

Monsters, Inc. was the first Pixar movie that I fell in love with. At that time I'd not seen Toy Story but even if I had I think Mike and Sulley would have surpassed any feelings I had for Woody and Buzz. The subsequent Pixar movies, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and even Wall.E were all wonderful but somehow the lovable monsters are always the ones I come back to. I will always remember seeing Monsters, Inc. for the first time. I was with my ex boyfriend and I cried like a baby when *spoiler alert* Boo had to go home. I still do. His reaction to my waterworks was less than understanding and made me feel ridiculous. I now refer back to my earlier statement that if you don't love them you must have a heart made of stone. It's now a requirement of any suitor that you have to have a love of Disney movies to date me.

So you can probably understand that with the impending release of Monsters University later this year, I was somewhat thrilled at the re-release of Monsters, Inc. in 3D.

For anyone who doesn't know the story, Mike and Sulley are the top team of scarers at Monsters Incorporated, the industry that makes energy for the monster world by capturing children's screams. One day Sulley finds a door, the gateway between the monster world and the human world, when the scare floor should be empty. He accidentally uncovers a plot by the second best scarer, Randall, to beat his score by kidnapping children. Meanwhile, the child Randall had planned to kidnap has escaped into the monster world. Believing children to be toxic to them, Sulley and Mike must try to find the girl and return her to the human world, whilst also putting an end to Randall's scheming ways.

Monsters, Inc. is not the most plot heavy of the Pixar movies but it's colourful and lively for kids whilst also having enough in jokes for the adults to keep them entertained. The voice actors do a fantastic job of making these characters lovable and memorable. And every time I hear the name 'Kitty' I will always well up a little bit. The animation is gorgeous, between the individual hairs that can be seen on Sulley and the expressions captured in Boo's perfect human face I can't fault the animators here one bit. It's all so well done.

If you haven't seen Monsters, Inc. I highly recommend it in 3D. And if you have, well then you know how great it is. Get down to your nearest cinema and see it again! 9.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 3rd February 2013
UK Release Date - 18th January 2013

Cast Overview:
(If you don't like knowing who the voices are DONT SCROLL DOWN! ;0)
John Goodman ~ James P "Sulley" Sullivan
Billy Crystal ~ Mike Wazowski
Mary Gibbs ~ Boo
Steve Buscemi ~ Randall Boggs
James Coburn ~ Henry J Waternoose
Jennifer Tilly ~ Celia
Bob Peterson ~ Roz
John Ratzenberger ~ The Abominable Snowman

Director(s) ~ Pete Docter, David Silverman (Co-Director) and Lee Unkrich (Co-Director)
Writer(s) ~ Pete Docter (Original Story), Jill Culton (Original Story), Jeff Pidgeon (Original Story), Ralph Eggleston (Original Story), Andrew Stanton (Screenplay), Daniel Gerson (Screenplay), Robert Baird (Additional Screenplay Material), Rhett Reese (Additional Screenplay Material) and Jonathan Roberts (Additional Screenplay Material).

No comments:

Post a Comment