Sunday 20 January 2013

Life Of Pi

Mini Blog

Right from the word go I was in two minds about Life of Pi. I wanted to see it because it's Ang Lee and generally I like his movies. I also love Tigers so that made it kind of a given. But it looked kinda dull and unappealing from the trailer. Then it had lots of good reviews and then it had lots of award nominations. But my friends had all seen it and no-one had raved about it? Mmmm. Definite quandry. 

So I bit the bullet and went to see it. And I have to say that I really wasn't all that impressed. It was pretty much the exact film I thought it was going to be. Visually quite stunning - although the 3D wasn't at all - and an intriguing if somewhat boring tale. For those who don't know it, the story goes as follows: Family travel by ship to start new life, ship sinks, boy is left alone on a lifeboat with a tiger and somehow survives. See, intriguing no? But boring, yes! There is only so much time you can spend watching a boy stranded at sea with a tiger before you kinda want something else to happen! 

Yes Suraj Sharma's performance is excellent, especially considering he couldn't swim and spent most of his time surrounded by water, and then had to react to CGI animals that weren't really there. But the film just isn't all that great. It feels long and by the end you're glad you've seen it but also glad it's over. The CGI tiger is amazing but it's not enough to make me want another slice of Pi. 5 out of 10. 


Viewing Date - 13th January 2013
UK Release Date - 20th December 2012

Cast Overview:
Suraj Sharma ~ Pi Patel
Irrfan Khan ~ Adult Pi Patel
Ayush Tandon ~ Pi Patel (11/12 years)
Adil Hussain ~ Santosh Patel
Tabu ~ Gita Patel
Mohd Abbas Khaleeli ~ Ravi Patel (13/14 years)
Vibish Sivakumar ~ Ravi Patel (18/19 years)
Rafe Spall ~ Writer
Gerard Depardieu ~ Cook

Director ~ Ang Lee
Writer(s) ~ David Magee (screenplay) and Yann Martel (novel)



No comments:

Post a Comment