Sunday 13 January 2013

Jack Reacher

Mini Review

Jack Reacher is a film based on a series of books, about a former Army Major who is now a drifter and investigator. He's called in to investigate when a military sniper apparently kills five people in a random shooting. 

I wasn't sure that I particularly wanted to see Jack Reacher but I wanted to catch up on films I'd missed over Christmas, and this was one of the few that was still in cinemas. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise but having his name attached to a film doesn't put me off either. I would usually only go out of my way to see a Cruise film if there was another person of interest involved. I think that's why I hesitated over Jack Reacher as I'm not exactly a fan of anyone else in the film.

Having said that, the film did keep me interested for the most part, the only times I waivered slightly were during the overlong car chase and the ending. I can't comment on the casting of Cruise as I haven't read the Jack Reacher novels, although I am familiar with the fact that he's not exactly the kind of actor fans would have expected to be cast in the role. For me, he did a fine job in the movie, exuding charisma and likability under that mask of mystery. Pike and Jenkins were also fine support. If anything it's the characters themselves that were the problem as only Reacher seemed to have any real depth or something different about him. Everyone else seemed to be very much a caricature and that made it hard to take them seriously. 

The stunts weren't as flashy as we've come to expect from Cruise but the fight work was impressive. I just came away from Jack Reacher without any real feeling for the film either way. I didn't regret my two hours in the cinema, but at the same time I did think they could have been better spent. And it's certainly not a film that I will rush to see again.

If you're a fan of Cruise it's a must, if you like the books then I'd see it just so you know what all the fuss is about. For everyone else I'd say it's just okay. 6 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 9th January 2013
UK Release Date - 26th December 2012

Cast Overview:
Tom Cruise ~ Jack Reacher
Rosamund Pike ~ Helen Rodin
Richard Jenkins ~ Rodin
David Oyelowo ~ Emerson
Werner Herzog ~ The Zec
Jai Courtney ~ Charlie
Joseph Sikora ~ Barr
Robert Duvall ~ Cash

Director ~ Christopher McQuarrie
Writer(s) ~ Christopher McQuarrie (Screenplay) and Lee Child (Book)

3 comments:

  1. You know what happens when a good tailor aspires to create an apparel for the international market, say a fully embroidered long coat, buys the best fabric, best embroidery threads, copies the latest patterns, throws in a couple of his own, but simply cannot get hold of the karigars or workmen, or say cannot guide them enough to fill the entire coat with the international class embroidery, and so leaves gaps in various places! Resultantly, the long coat no doubt gets ready for the international market because whatever workmanship it entails is of the international standard, but the buyers will refrain from buying it because they are used to and they expect complete workmanship. This complete workmanship is what the audience expects from a Tom Cruise movie. As an actor, he has played the character pretty well. To the extent that he has even refrained from flashing his toothy grin and jaw dropping stunts! Depth of character is visible in the Assassin, but not in his Boss. Meaning to say that, strong characters have been created, but not explored. Presentation of the plot could have been made much more interesting. Herein one gets to know the difference between a good director and a brilliant director. Verdict: A fine movie but without any Tom Cruise effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I liked it. I think that perhaps it should have been portrayed more as a thriller within the trailer as it was more akin to LA CONFIDENTIAL or ENEMY AT THE STATE rather than the big blockbuster action films like say SAFE or EXPENDABLES 2. I would venture that the films biggest drawback at the moment is it's unsavoury subject matter considering recent events in Connecticut. Bearing in mind all that is going on in America a semi-realistic thriller that dwells on a sharp-shooting psycho would always struggle to get bums on seats, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete