Sunday 9 December 2012

Silver Linings Playbook


As a fan of both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence I was looking forward to seeing Silver Linings Playbook as soon as I saw the trailer for it a couple of months ago. 

The film tells the story of Pat (Bradley Cooper), who was diagnosed bipolar and admitted to a mental health facility following the breakdown of his marriage. We meet him just as he is being released from the facility to the care of his parents, although Pat is unwilling to come to terms with the fact that his marriage is over. Whilst rebuilding his life, Pat becomes friends with Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a depressed young woman who is unconventionally coming to terms with being made a widow by sleeping with everyone in her office, causing her to lose her job. Tiffany persuades Pat to join her in a dance competition by promising him she will pass messages onto his estranged wife, but is she looking for more than a dance partner?

I must admit that I not only really enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook but I also found it quite a refreshingly sweet natured film with very little swearing and no sex scenes. Don't get me wrong, I like a good love scene as much as the next girl, but sometimes it's nice for a film to be the kind of film you could take your mum to see. Bearing in mind the fact that film also stars Robert De Niro, I think a lot of people will be surprised to see that this is such a tame film in terms of the lack of swearing and violence.

The only issues I had with Silver Linings is that it could have been funnier, and it is a tad on the predictable side, but neither of these niggles affected my overall opinion or enjoyment of the film. Cooper, Lawrence and De Niro - who I have never been a fan of - all put in solid performances and you find it very easy to like the characters they play, genuinely caring what happens to them. 

If you like your rom coms to come with honest dialogue and a backdrop of emotional problems, but ultimately to have a warm heart, then you'll like this one a lot. 8 out of 10.




Viewing Date - 4th December 2012
UK Release Date - 21st November 2012

Cast Overview:
Bradley Cooper ~ Pat
Jennifer Lawrence ~ Tiffany
Robert De Niro ~ Pat Snr
Jacki Weaver ~ Dolores
Chris Tucker ~ Danny
Anupam Kher ~ Dr Cliff Patel
John Ortiz ~ Ronnie
Shea Whigham ~ Jake
Julia Stiles ~ Veronica

Director ~ David O Russell
Writer(s) ~ David O Russell (Screenplay) and Matthew Quick (Novel) 

3 comments:

  1. When I read that plot I immediately thought of this Interview between Kent Brockman and Burt Reynolds

    Burt Reynolds: "I play Jerry "Fireball" Mudflap, a feisty Supreme Court justice...searching for his birth mother... while competing in a cross-country firetruck race. It's ... garbage. "

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's not garbage! It's really good!!! Damn you brother of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant it sounds bizarre that's all.

    ReplyDelete