Monday 17 December 2012

End Of Watch


Anyone who follows my little review blog on a regular basis will know that I have my fair few crushes on movie men (and occasionally on film females too ;0), but anyone who's followed my blog since last year - back when it was Film Reviews 2011 - will know that Jake Gyllenhaal is my prince among men. As such I look forward to his movies above all others, and where possible I see them as many times as I can at the cinema. Jake actually holds my record for the most multiple viewings of a film EVER with a total of 8 trips to see Brokeback Mountain.

Since 2011's magnificent Source Code however, it's been quite the wait for another Jake Gyllenhaal film. I believe this has had something to do with his appearance in the off-Broadway play 'If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet', but it could also have something to do with the fact that there are several films on his IMDb filmography that state they're in post production. A state that I recall seeing them in more than a year ago. Having said this, End Of Watch did kind of creep up on me as I thought it was further down the line than some of Jake's other movies, and before I knew it, it was being released. 

The film has been shot documentary style to capture the gritty realism of a day in the life of a cop in South Central Los Angeles. We follow LAPD officers Brian Taylor (Gyllenhaal) and Miguel Zavala (Michael Peña) as they do their daily rounds, car chases, checking on the elderly, toning down house parties is all just part of their daily routines, but when the two officers start homing in on gang members in South Central they soon find that they are the ones being targeted.

Let me start by saying that this is not my kind of movie. At all. But having said that, I am glad that Jake made it as I wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and overall I am glad I've seen it. Maybe with someone else in the role of Taylor I wouldn't have liked the film as much, but as it was I thought Jake was great and he had a good spark with Peña. Their chemistry made their partnership believable, which in turn leant a lot of weight to the film. And the film certainly surprised me, in more ways than one. 

The only thing I didn't really like about it, and this will seem really frivolous, was the swearing. Just to put into context, one of my favourite gritty, true to life films is The Town. There is a lot of swearing in The Town. But not every other word. It just takes the whole thing from being realistic and believable to the exact opposite of the scale. No-one, I don't care what scummy town they come from or how little of a good upbringing they've had, no-one says the f word every other word. Yet one character in End Of Watch did just that. EVERY F*CKIN OTHER F*CKIN WORD. F*CK. It was just ridiculous and really hampered my enjoyment of the film.

Therefore, my recommendations for End Of Watch are as follows. If you enjoy gritty cop docu-drama's and don't mind the f bombs, you'll like this. If swearing, guns and drugs are not your bag, avoid. 6.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 5th December 2012
UK Release Date - 23rd November 2012

Cast Overview:
Jake Gyllenhaal ~ Brian Taylor
Michael Peña ~ Miguel Zavala
Natalie Martinez ~ Gabby
Anna Kendrick ~ Janet
David Harbour ~ Van Hauser
America Ferrera ~ Orozco 
Cody Horn ~ Davis

Director/Writer ~ David Ayer

No comments:

Post a Comment