Tuesday 6 November 2012

Rust And Bone


I will admit that when I went to see Rust And Bone this weekend I didn't know it was a subtitled movie. I probably should have guessed by the fact that there was no dialogue in the trailer. Personally I just thought that was a clever way of making the movie look good with the use of imagery and music alone. The reason I'm telling you is so that I can beg you, please, please don't let that put you off this movie.

In the film we meet Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts), a former boxer who has taken his son Sam away from a seemingly unstable home in Belgium in order to live with his sister and her partner in France. Whilst working as bouncer he meets the beautiful but strong willed Stephanie (Marion Cotillard), who by day trains Killer whales in the local Marine Wildlife Centre. After an accident during a whale show leaves Stephanie having to start her life over again, she finds that Ali is one of the few people she can turn to who still treats her like the person she was before. But will he let her down when she needs him the most?

I felt pulled into this film from the opening scene where Ali and Sam make their way from Belgium to France, and it didn't let go of me until way after the credits had rolled. The performances, particularly from Schoenaerts and Cotillard are so perfect that I find it hard to articulate just how good they both were. Both showed great heart and determination in their respective roles and really made you feel for their characters, even when they weren't being particularly likable. 

The film is very realistically shot but still retains beauty in almost every frame. The script sparks in both it's honesty and humor and the score compliments the movie perfectly. I honestly have nothing bad to say. Even the ending, which I thought I had predicted to a tee, managed to surprise me.

I don't often beg, but I urge you to see this movie now. It deserves to be seen by as many people as possible and by next weekend it may have been replaced at your local cinema by some other Hollywood blockbuster that isn't as worthy of your time or money. Bond is sold out, so wait until next week to see it. Don't miss out on Rust and Bone. See it now. You won't regret it. 9.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 4th November 2012
UK Release Date - 2nd November 2012

Cast Overview:
Marion Cotillard ~ Stephanie
Matthias Schoenaerts ~ Alain van Versch
Armand Verdure ~ Sam
Celine Sallette ~ Louise
Corinne Masiero ~ Anna
Bouli Lanners ~ Martial
Jean-Michel Correia ~ Richard

Director ~ Jacques Audiard
Writer(s) ~ Jacques Audiard (Screenplay), Thomas Bidegain (Screenplay) and Craig Davidson (Story)

No comments:

Post a Comment