Sunday 4 November 2012

Frankenweenie


Anyone who read my review of Dark Shadows will be aware that I used to be a very big Tim Burton fan, but that in recent years he has let me down again and again to the point where I very nearly didn't bother seeing Frankenweenie as I assumed it would be as bad as all his other recent offerings.

However, I did go and see Frankenweenie and I was so glad I did. Because Tim Burton is back to his cooky but heartwarming best. And all without the 'help' of usual collaborator Johnny Depp. This speaks volumes to me that the two of them need to stop working together (which has been my belief for a while now).

Not many people will know this but Tim Burton actually made Frankenweenie as a live action short film for Disney back in 1984. It tells the same story of a boy who revives his dog after it is run over by a car. It was also filmed in Black and White. Back then Disney execs deemed the film too dark and scary for children and fired Burton, who has now had the last laugh because Disney re-hired him to make this black and white stop motion version of the same film.

The story is also a very personal one for Burton who had a dog who died when he was a boy. Young Burton's love of horror stories such as Frankenstein gave him the idea for the story. I think this is one of the reason's that the film works so well. The story feels personal, and like a lot of love has been put into making it. 

Danny Elfman's beautiful score brings back memories of the wonderful work he did on my favourite Tim Burton film, Edward Scissorhands, and adds the perfect finishing touch to the brilliant voice work and animation. The film brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion and it's been quite some time since I've been able to say that about a Tim Burton feature.

The fact that this has been filmed in black and white might put some people off, it might also put kids off, but if you're a fan of old school Burton I urge you to go and see Frankenweenie and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. 7.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 23rd October 2012
UK Release Date - 17th October 2012

Cast Overview:
(If you don't like knowing who the voices are DONT SCROLL DOWN! ;0)
Charlie Tahan ~ Victor Frankenstein
Catherine O'Hara ~ Mrs Frankenstein / Weird Girl / Gym Teacher
Martin Short ~ Mr Frankenstein / Mr Burgemeister / Nassor
Martin Landau ~ Mr Rzykruski
Winona Ryder ~ Elsa Van Helsing
Robert Capron ~ Bob
Conchata Ferrell ~ Bob's Mom

Director ~ Tim Burton
Writer(s) ~ Leonard Ripps (Based on his Screenplay), Tim Burton (Based on his Original Idea) and John August (Screenplay)

No comments:

Post a Comment