Sunday 11 November 2012

Argo


I went to see Ben Affleck's directorial debut Gone Baby Gone with my good friend and occasional guest reviewer, Faye. As you might have guessed from her reviews, she is not a woman of many words. But what she does say does tend to resonate and have meaning. Needless to say we both loved Gone Baby Gone and when we discovered Ben had made another film, The Town, we went to see that one too. And loved it. 

When we discovered that a third film had been directed by Mr Affleck we again had to see it, together, as we had the two previous films. But this time we allowed a third person into the mix, a person who had not seen the two previous Ben Affleck directed movies. So the other night we set about rectifying this with a screening of his first film Gone Baby Gone. As we settled down to watch it I commented that I felt like our friendship had formed over a mutual love of Ben Affleck movies. And in a sense I believe it was. 

I hadn't seen Gone Baby Gone since the initial viewing at the cinema and neither had Faye. But it was just as good as we remembered and I urge anyone who's not seen that or The Town to rent them at the first available opportunity. 

Argo, on the other hand is a very different beast to those first two movies which are set in present day Boston. Argo is set in late 70s, and the location is split between Iran and Hollywood. Not exactly two places that you would expect to go hand in hand. But then this movie is based on a true story. One of US Embassy Diplomats working in Iran, who escape the Embassy when it's raided by Iranian revolutionaries, and who hide out in the home of the Canadian Ambassador. In order to get them safely out of Iran, the CIA's top extraction expert Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck), concocts a cover story of them being a team of Hollywood hotshots, on a location scout for a science fiction film called Argo. Will this hair brained idea actually work?

Well I won't spoil it of course, but what I will say is that the 30 or so minutes set in the airport at the end of the movie, were so intense that I not only held my own hand to get me through it, I don't think I breathed! 

The cast is a tight ensemble and film is as well acted, scripted, shot and produced as any of Affleck's previous movies. The difference for me was that you feel like you've learned something when you walk out of the cinema from seeing Argo. And in my book, that is never a bad thing. So see his other movies but most importantly, see Argo. And you'll forever be saying "Argo f*ck yourself" to those you've seen it with. 9 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 8th November 2012
UK Release Date - 7th November 2012

Cast Overview:
Ben Affleck ~ Tony Mendez
Bryan Cranston ~ Jack O'Donnell
Alan Arkin ~ Lester Siegel
John Goodman ~ John Chambers
Victor Garber ~ Ken Taylor
Tate Donovan ~ Bob Anders
Clea DuVall ~ Cora Lijek
Christopher Denham ~ Mark Lijek
Scoot McNairy ~ Joe Stafford
Kerry Bishe ~ Kathy Stafford
Rory Cochrane ~ Lee Schatz
Kyle Chandler ~ Hamilton Jordan

Director ~ Ben Affleck
Writer(s) ~ Chris Terrio (Screenplay) and Joshuah Bearman (Article)

No comments:

Post a Comment