Thursday 18 October 2012

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Mini Blog

When I went to see Anna Karenina a couple of weeks back I recall that there were a LOT of trailers. There seemed to be more than the usual amount. The thing was that the film kinda sucked, but the trailers stayed with me. One was for The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Despite seeing the trailer and thinking it looked really good, on the day I went to see it, I wasn't really feeling in the mood for a coming of age tale. I'd just come out of seeing Looper and despite not loving the prosthetics I did really like that film.

But I'd made a promise to my cinema buddy and I knew he'd held off seeing it, waiting for me to go with him. So I kept my promise, and I was so glad I did.

Wallflower is so much more than the trailer suggests. At times it's a coming of age tale, in others a drama not afraid to touch on hard subjects, and for once I'm not talking about sex and teenage drug taking (take a note On The Road!). I'm talking about genuine hard to stomach subjects that I won't go into here as I think you should discover it as I did, as the film rolls on. It's not all doom and gloom though, much like real life. The film is peppered with happiness as much as it is with heartache.

The performances from all three leads are (I don't want to sound pretentious here) very real. Logan Lerman is a wonderful Charlie, keeping so much hidden all the time, Emma Watson's Sam is nothing special on the surface but when she opens up you can't help but love her, and finally Ezra Miller, my 'Breakthrough Performer' (I had my own version of the Oscars - he won Breakthrough Performer - Lady K Academy Film Awards) for his role in We Need To Talk About Kevin, here giving a very different but equally satisfying performance. The youngsters are ably supported by the likes of Kate Walsh, Dylan McDermott, Paul Rudd and the always lovable Joan Cusack. It was also nice to see Melanie Lynskey back on the big screen as I've loved her since Heavenly Creatures and I don't think she gets nearly enough decent film roles.

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower really surprised me with how genuine, affecting, and just how brilliant it is. I haven't read the book but I wonder how it can compete with such a beautifully made film. I'm sure those who've read it (and love it) will think otherwise, as I usually do when I see adaptations of novels I love. It has however, made me want to read the book, which I don't always want to do after seeing a film adaptation. Especially one as good as this.

If Wallflower is still showing at a cinema near you I urge you to see it. If it isn't then I'm sorry this review took me so long. Please rent/buy it when it comes to DVD. 9 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 7th October 2012
UK Release Date - 3rd October 2012

Cast Overview:
Logan Lerman ~ Charlie
Emma Watson ~ Sam
Ezra Miller ~ Patrick
Mae Whitman ~ Mary Elizabeth
Johnny Simmons ~ Brad
Paul Rudd ~ Mr Anderson
Dylan McDermott ~ Charlie's Father
Kate Walsh ~ Charlie's Mother
Melanie Lynskey ~ Aunt Helen
Joan Cusack ~ Dr Burton

Director/Writer ~ Stephen Chbosky

No comments:

Post a Comment