Thursday 3 May 2012

Titanic 3D



When Titanic was first released in 1997 I was 16. I'm sure my readers will appreciate that as a 16 year old girl I loved Titanic, and Kate and Leo, and even the Celine Dion song. It's also one of the things that brought about my friendship with two of my best friends, as we were initially pen friends who met through a Heavenly Creatures fanzine. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Titanic not only had an impact on me as a cinema-goer (I think it was the first film I saw multiple times at the cinema with a grand total of 4 viewings prior to this one), but it also brought two of the most important people into my life. So I owe it a debt of gratitude.


So whilst some people may snigger at the 3D re-release or complain about how cheesy the film is, I was quite looking forward to going back to Titanic.

For those who have been living under a rock for the last 100 years, Titanic is a film about the famous 'unsinkable' ship of the same name. The story is told through the eyes of Rose (Kate Winslet), a 17 year old girl who is travelling on Titanic with her fiance Cal (Billy Zane), on their way to New York for their wedding. Rose feels trapped by the life that she is being forced into by her money grabbing mother, and on the first night of the voyage she flees to the back of the ship with the intention of throwing herself into the icy waters beneath. She is saved from this decision, and by an accidental fall into the ocean, by Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio). Jack and Rose soon become friends as Jack shows Rose that there is more to life than being a rich man's wife. However, disaster soon strikes the vessell as the ship hits the infamous iceberg.


"It's STILL a classic!" declared the man sitting next to me to his buddy at the end. And whilst I was shocked that this declaration came from a man, I concur. It is still a classic. And while the IMAX screen did show up some of the more ropey effects, it also allowed me to see things I had previously missed. It was a truly wonderful way to see the film and I would highly recommend the IMAX experience to anyone wanting to see a really big spectacle of a movie. The ship looks magnificent on the huge IMAX screen and Leo and Kate look gorgeous, but I must say, as a 30 year old looking at them now I couldn't believe how young they both looked. 


Watching the film as a woman, rather than the girl I was at the time of the original release, I can honestly say that the tragic number of deaths really shocks you. As a girl I found it sad but I don't think you really realise how many people perished when you're younger, but it really hits home as an adult. Therefore, whether you believe in the love story or not, the ending is still as tragic. And the film still had an emotional impact on me even though I am now 30 and have seen the film several times. 


If you have never seen it or are a fan like I am, even if you're a fan who doesn't like to admit it or who hasn't seen it in a number of years, I would recommend refreshing your memory and certainly recommend the IMAX experience. Yes it has flaws but it's a story that was close to writer/director James Cameron's heart, and if you admit it to yourself it's close to yours too. 9 out of 10.




Viewing Date - 6th April 2012
UK Release Date - 6th April 2012

Cast Overview:
Leonardo DiCaprio ~ Jack Dawson
Kate Winslet ~ Rose DeWitt Bukater
Billy Zane ~ Caledon 'Cal' Hockley
Kathy Bates ~ Molly Brown
Frances Fisher ~ Ruth DeWitt Bukater
Gloria Stuart ~ Old Rose
Bill Paxton ~ Brock Lovett
Bernard Hill ~ Captain Edward James Smith
David Warner ~ Spicer Lovejoy
Victor Garber ~ Thomas Andrews
Jonathan Hyde ~ Bruce Ismay
Suzy Amis ~ Lizzy Calvert

Director/Writer ~ James Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment