Sunday 5 February 2012

The Lady K Academy Film Awards Day 2 - Breakthrough Performer

The second award of the Lady K Academy is for Breakthrough Performer of 2011.

An award that goes to an actor or actress that truly broke onto the movie scene this year and made us all sit up and take notice. This was a really tough category to decide on and the winner wasn't necessarily playing the nicest of characters. But I partially think that's what made them stand out.

As they say in Hollywood, the award for Breakthrough Performer goes to Ezra Miller for his performance in 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'.


A performance which shocked me by how chilling a child actor's performance could be. He made the audience feel uncomfortable at times and yet intrigued us all to keep watching him. 

The difficulty I had in awarding Ezra with this prestigious honor was that it was as much a performance by the two other actors who played Kevin, Jasper Newell and Rock Duer as it was his performance. But I am sure Ezra will thank them in his acceptance speech.

My review of 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' had this to say:
"We (my friends and I who saw the film) were all in agreement that the performances - especially by the three child actors who played Kevin at varying stages - were exemplary. And it has to be said that the casting of the three actors who played Kevin was flawless. You never felt like you were watching three different actors, you just felt like you were watching Kevin grow up. And the perfomances, from all three Kevins (Ezra Miller, Jasper Newell and Rock Duer) were chilling. To think these performances came from such young actors just astounds me."



Runners Up:
Jasper Newell and Rock Duer for 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'
Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney (and in fact the entire cast of children) for 'Super 8'
Asa Butterfield for 'Hugo'
Keir Gilchrist for 'It's Kind Of A Funny Story'
Craig Roberts for 'Submarine'

Feel free to tell me which new actor or actress blew you away at the cinema last year...

3 comments:

  1. Kwesi Boayke hasn't done that many films YET, but he could be an Oscar winner in the future if he goes on the way he is doing.

    He almost moved me to tears last year in the Mentalist and he is AMAZING.

    One to watch out for, defo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly went to see this film about 5 times over but never could commit to it. Shall LoveFilm it.

    My absolute, far and away winner for this category would be Zoé Héran in Tomboy. Astonishing film, breathtaking performance. Can't believe she pulled off so understated when she is so young and the subject matter so complex (My Amazon review says all the things I am too drunk to retype now; http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B005JZ90MU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing bro. Lizzie, just read your review, made me really want to see the film so I'm adding it to my lovefilm list. :0)

    ReplyDelete