Sunday 15 May 2011

Attack The Block


Those who regularly accompany me to the cinema will know that I wasn't all that interested in seeing Attack The Block. For whatever reason, the trailer just didn't grab me. The thing that changed my mind was finding out that it was written and directed by Joe Cornish, who I've been a fan of since his Adam and Joe days.

Bearing this in mind I decided to give the film a go, feeling a kind of obligation to Mr Cornish to support him in this new and exciting venture.

The film is set in a saaaf laandaan (South London) block of flats and begins with the mugging of one of the block's residents. The teenage gang who commit the crime then witness an alien landing and decide to investigate. The alien in question is a vicious little blighter and after scarring the lead gang member the teens decide to teach it a lesson. Unsurprisingly the kids give the alien a kicking and the result is it's death. In retaliation their block is then invaded by even bigger, hairier and scarier creatures who are out for redemption. So it's up to the kids to defend the block and stop the aliens from killing the residents, which include the nurse they mugged at the start of the night.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that I gave this film a chance as it didn't disappoint. The trailer plays it for laughs and although the film does have some laughs (and all of the youf speak I was 'spectin innit bro!) it's also surprisingly scary. The alien effects, for what I would imagine was a modestly budgeted British film, were really very good and much scarier than they appear in the trailer. The great thing for me (take note Battle: Los Angeles, here's where you can learn something!) was that by the end of the film, you did know what the aliens looked like. You get several really good shots of the aliens in the closing moments. And they looked impressively real. 

The script was what you would expect for an inner city gang movie, so I can't say it was great, but then I guess the fact that they spoke so realistically means it actually was great? The thing I was most impressed with was the direction. There are some really fantastic shots in the film, the one that stayed with me, and made me almost hide under my coat, was the shot of all the aliens climbing up the front of the block (but I think that's because it's a genuine nightmare of mine to have aliens in a real setting like that). For a first time director I was genuinely impressed (and a little proud). There were also a few nice nods to Joe's heroes in the biz - in particular, the scene where the teens go looking for the alien on their bikes made me think of ET - and it was good to see his friends Nick Frost, Nira Park and Edgar Wright all leant a helping hand to the film.

I don't want to say much more because I would really like this film to do well, not only for the British Film Industry, but because it's a good British film for once and I'd like people to go and see it.

Highly recommended for horror fans, British film fans and anyone who likes to be surprised every once in a while. 8 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 15th May 2011
UK Release Date - 13th Maty 2011

Cast Overview: 
Jodie Whittaker ~ Sam
John Boyega ~ Moses
Alex Esmail ~ Pest
Franz Drameh ~ Dennis
Leeon Jones ~ Jerome
Simon Howard ~ Biggz
Sammy Williams ~ Probs
Michael Ajao ~ Mayhem
Jumayn Hunter ~ Hi-Hatz
Luke Treadaway ~ Brewis
Paige Meade ~ Dimples
Danielle Vitalis ~ Tia
and Nick Frost ~ Ron

Director and Writer ~ Joe Cornish

No comments:

Post a Comment